Be aware of the plants you have in your house and in your
pig's yard. The ingestion of azalea, oleander, mistletoe, sago palm, or yew plant material, by a pig, could be fatal.
When cleaning your house, never allow your pig access to the area where cleaning agents are used or stored. Cleaning agents have a variety of properties. Some may only cause a mild stomach upset, while others could cause severe burns of the snout, tongue, mouth, and stomach.
When using rat or mouse baits, ant or roach traps, or snail and slug baits, place the
products in areas that are inaccessible to your pigs. Most baits contain sweet smelling inert ingredients, such as jelly, peanut butter, and sugars, which can be very attracting to your pig.
Never give your pig any medications unless under the directions of veterinarian. Many medications that are used safely in humans can be deadly when used inappropriately.
Keep all prescription an over the counter drugs out of reach of your pigs, preferably in locked cabinets. Pain
killers, cold medicines, anti-cancer drugs, antidepressants, vitamins, and diet pills are common examples of human medication that could be potentially lethal even in small dosages. A few extra strength acetaminophen tablets (500 mg) could cause liver damage to a 50 pound pig.
Never leave chocolates unattended. Approximately one half ounce or less of baking chocolate per pound body weight can cause problems. Even small amounts can cause pancreatic problems.
Many common household
items have been shown to be lethal in pigs. Miscellaneous items that are highly toxic even in low quantities include pennies (high concentration of zinc), mothballs (contain naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene - even a few can be life threatening), potpourri oils, fabric softener sheets, salt (porcine has been reported to be the most sensitive species effected by salt toxicity) automatic dish detergents (contain cationic detergents which could cause corrosive lesions), batteries (contain acids
or alkali which can also cause corrosive lesions), homemade play dough (contains high quantity of salt), winter heat source agents like hand or foot warmers (contain high levels of iron), cigarettes, coffee grounds, and alcoholic drinks.
All automotive products such as oil, gasoline, windshield washer fluid, and antifreeze, should be stored in areas away from pig access.
When treating your lawn or garden with fertilizers, herbicides, or insecticides, always keep your pigs away
from the sprayed area until the area dries completely. Discuss usage of products with the manufacturer of the products before usage. Always store such products in areas that will ensure no possible pig exposure.
Never discard old medications, spoiled foods, or chemicals in a garbage can that is accessible to your pig. Garbage is very attracting to pigs ---the smellier the better in most cases. Unwanted medications could be flushed down the toilet in order to prevent pig exposure.
Never allow your pig to ingest moldy or rotten foods. Certain types of mold grown on food can produce nervous system signs in pigs. Spoiled food can carry pathogenic bacteria that can cause severe stomach upset in your pig.
The ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center is the first and the only animal-oriented poison information center in North America. Since 1978 it has provided advice to veterinarians and pet owners about poison exposures. The telephones are answered by a
licensed veterinarians trained in toxicology, board certified veterinary toxicologists or by Certified Veterinary Technicians. The Center
is operational 24 hours a day, and is staffed by veterinary health professionals who are familiar with different species' responses to toxins and effective treatment protocols. In 1997, the Center managed almost 41,000 cases. The Center maintains a wide collection of information specific to animal poisoning including an extensive database of over
350,000 cases. This specialized information helps the ASPCA/NAPCC veterinary staff to make specific and accurate recommendations for animal exposures.
Jill A. Richardson, DVM
Veterinary Poison Information Specialist
ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center
December 12, 1997
ASPCA NATIONAL ANIMAL POISON CONTROL CENTER
1717 Philo Road, Suite #36
Urbana, IL 61801
This brochure is one of a series of
educational publications offered to those who already own or are considering obtaining the Vietnamese potbelly or other miniature pet pigs, is produced by Pigs as Pets Association, Inc. and distributed thanks to the courtesy of the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center. Individual copies are available without charge, and bulk copies at cost. Please write or call for details and for a listing of currently available publications.
This article is being used with permission from PAPA and is copyright protected.
Also consider a free subscription to our newsletter, The Pig Gazette.
Pigs As Pets Association, Inc.
Web Site: http://come.to/pigsaspets
P.O. Box 50907
Fort Myers, FL 33994-0907
Pigs As Pets Association, Inc.
The mission of Pigs As Pets Association, Inc. (PAPA) is to promote the potbellied
pig as a pet, to assist different organizations, sanctuaries, groups and individuals in the rescue and placement of abused, neglected, abandoned or unwanted potbellied pigs; to educate the general public with the true nature and characteristics of the potbellied pig; to promote good health and welfare for the potbellied pig; and to provide a means by which potbellied pig owners can share information and join in common activities to further promote the health and welfare of potbellied pigs.
The Pig You Save Could Be Your Own